This August, a major I-5 construction project will kick off in Pierce County that extends HOV lanes and builds a new overpass over Interstate 5 linking Joint Base Lewis-McChord and the city of DuPont.
Work on the I-5 Mounts Road to Steilacoom-DuPont Road Corridor Improvements project is focused at the I-5/Steilacoom-DuPont Road Interchange, at milepost 119.
Contractor crews working for the Washington State Department of Transportation will widen the interstate to extend the HOV lanes built in 2021.
The 3-year project also includes:
- Building a new bridge spanning I-5 and the railroad. The new bridge will feature a diverging diamond interchange and a shared use path for pedestrians and bicyclists between JBLM and DuPont.
- Adding a northbound I-5 auxiliary lane between Center Drive and Steilacoom-DuPont Road.
- Building a new roundabout connecting Steilacoom-DuPont Road and the new overpass.
- Installing a new signal at the intersection of the southbound I-5 off-ramp at Mounts Road.
What I-5 Drivers Can Expect
During I-5 construction, travelers will see shifted lanes, reduced speeds and overnight lane and ramp closures at:
- Mounts Road at exit 116, Center Drive at exit 118 and Steilacoom-DuPont Road at exit 119.
- Some overnight closures of I-5 for bridge demolition and new girder placement.
- Some weekend closures of the JBLM DuPont Gate.
Exact dates and overnight closure hours will be shared on the project webpage, social media and the WSDOT interactive travel map once finalized. Travelers on both directions of I-5 will see some delays during construction.
Please help keep road workers safe. When approaching a work zone, remember to:
- Slow down – drive the posted speeds, they are there for your safety.
- Be kind – our workers are out there helping to keep you safe and improve the roadways.
- Pay attention – both to workers directing you and surrounding traffic; put your phone down when behind the wheel.
- Stay calm – expect delays, leave early or take an alternate route if possible; no meeting or appointment is worth risking someone’s life.
About This I-5 Project
This $202 million project is the third in a series that widens I-5 to build HOV lanes from Mounts Road near DuPont to Gravelly Lake Drive in Lakewood. At the completion of this project, cumulatively, the new larger overpasses at Steilacoom-DuPont Road, Berkeley Street and Thorne Lane will increase the overpass vertical clearance over I-5 to meet current design standards and eliminate three signalized at-grade railroad crossings.
What’s happening on Interstate 5 RIGHT NOW! I-5 Real-time traffic information for selected cities along I-5. Maps show updates on road construction, traffic accidents, travel delays and the latest traffic speeds. Traffic cameras show congestion at a glance. Visit I-5 Traffic.
The I-5 Exit Guide is the Internet’s largest and most complete website dedicated to Interstate 5 travelers. Find detailed exit service listings… lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit from Washington to California!
On the road? Why not take us with you. The I-5 Exit Guide is mobile-friendly and totally FREE. No App Required.
Traveling another route? Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, I-80 Exit Guide and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!