The Oregon Department of Transportation reports that Interstate 5 will close in both directions for seven hours through North Portland starting 11:00 p.m. Saturday, May 16 while crews build two new sign bridges across all freeway lanes.
The closure will be in place between the Interstate Bridge and Alberta Street from 11:00 p.m. Saturday, May 16 until 6:00 a.m. Sunday, May 17. Traffic impacts include ramp and lane closures adjacent to the work areas, starting as early as 7:00 p.m.
The two new sign bridges will cross I-5 just north of North Alberta Street and just south of the Marine Drive interchange.
When completed, the project will add RealTime signs in seven locations along I-5 between Marine Drive and I-405. These signs will help reduce crashes, improve travel time reliability and improve highway efficiency with new advisory speed signs, traveler information signs and relocated guide signs.
During the closure:
- Southbound I-5 traffic will have to leave the highway at SR 14.
- Northbound I-5 traffic will have to leave the highway at North Alberta Street.
- Northbound I-405 traffic can only exit to southbound I-5. The ramps to northbound I-5 and to North Kerby Avenue will be closed.
During the work, the following ramps will remain open between the Interstate Bridge and North Alberta Street.
I-5 southbound ramps.
- North Alberta Street on-ramp
- North Going Street on-ramp
- Interstate 405 off-ramp.
- Westbound SR 14 and West 5th Street on-ramp.
I-5 northbound ramps.
- North Greeley Street off-ramp
- North Alberta Street off-ramp
- North Marine Drive on-ramp
- Hayden Island/Jantzen Beach off-ramp
- Hayden Island/Jantzen Beach on-ramp
During the closure, Hayden Island can be reached only by taking the northbound on-ramp from North Marine Drive.
On the road? Why not take us with you. All our websites are mobile-friendly. Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!