The Washington State Department of Transportation reports that travelers who use northbound Interstate 5 in Tukwila can expect delays and added congestion this weekend.
Construction crews have reduced northbound I-5 to two lanes across the Duwamish River Bridge. These closures will give them room to safely replace hardware in an expansion joint that broke in fall 2018. This permanent fix will keep the joint in good working order for years to come.
Here are the details:
From 10:00 pm Friday, March 22, to 11:59 pm Sunday, March 24, weather-dependent:
- The three left lanes of northbound I-5 between the I-405/SR 518 interchange and MLK Jr. Way will be closed.
- The following northbound I-5 on-ramps will also close:
- Southbound I-405 HOV only.
- Southcenter Boulevard.
- Interurban Avenue South.
The eastbound SR 518 on-ramp to northbound I-5 will remain open, as will the northbound I-5 off-ramp to SR 599. However, people who drive in this area should expect heavy traffic and delays of up to an hour.
What drivers should do
- Leave extra time for travel, particularly to Seattle-Tacoma International Airport.
- Consider taking carpool, vanpool or public transportation.
- Use alternate routes to avoid delays on northbound I-5.
- Plan ahead for increased congestion throughout the region due to several special events happening in the Seattle area.
On the road? Why not take us with you. Our websites are mobile-friendly! Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!