The Washington Department of Transportation reports the following traffic impacts on Interstate 5 near the Tacoma Dome between M St. to Portland Ave. from milepost 132.8 to 135.2, and northbound I-5 between East Portland Avenue and Port of Tacoma Road.
These projects lay the foundation for new HOV lanes on I-5 in Tacoma and northbound into Fife.
Weekend closure slated for busy Portland Avenue intersection in Tacoma
Drivers are encouraged to plan ahead for a full weekend closure of a busy Tacoma intersection and a northbound Interstate 5 exit.
From at 11 p.m. Friday, July 29 through 4 a.m. Monday, Aug. 1, the intersection of Portland Avenue and East 28th Street and the northbound I-5 exit to Portland Avenue will close to traffic. The closures allow contractor crews to finish rebuilding the intersection, which involves regrading and paving.
Drivers can expect additional congestion while traffic is detoured around the intersection and off-ramp. The work is weather-dependent and could be rescheduled.
Summer reroute for exit
Drivers headed to the 26th Street/Tacoma Dome exit from the northbound I-5 collector/distributor will instead be detoured to southbound State Route 7, to 38th Street, and loop around back to northbound SR 7.
Drivers using the northbound I-5 collector/distributor to I-705 will be allowed to continue to downtown Tacoma, however they will not be able to reach the 26th Street exit. Drivers using the SR 7 ramp will be able to exit to 26th Street/Tacoma Dome and continue to northbound I-705. The temporary configuration will remain in effect through September.
Crews are creating an access point from which to excavate a concrete-lined vault full of soil contaminated with petroleum products left from original Interstate 705 construction.
- 1 a.m. to 4 a.m. Friday, July 29 – All southbound lanes of I-5 will detour via Exit # 133/City Center and Interstate 705.
- Drivers can expect weeknight single- and double-lane closures panned for both directions of I-5 between M Street and Port of Tacoma Road.
- Single-lane closures generally begin after 8 p.m.
Double-lane closures generally begin after 10 p.m.
Monday, July 25
- 10 p.m. – northbound I-5 exit to northbound State Route 167 (River Road) will close, until 4 a.m. the following day.
Long-term ramp closures
- Northbound SR 7 on-ramp to southbound I-5 into winter 2017.
A Street on-ramp to northbound I-5/southbound SR 7 through project completion.
- Drivers headed to the 26th Street/Tacoma Dome exit from the northbound I-5 collector/distributor will instead be detoured to southbound State Route 7, to 38th Street, and loop around back to northbound SR 7.
On the road? Why not take us with you. Our websites are mobile-friendly! Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!